Sun glint makes the Yaqui River, in the state of Sonora in northwestern Mexico, appear bright white. As it is the largest river system in the state of Sonora, the Yaqui River (Río Yaqui in Spanish) is used for irrigation.
The Yaqui River originates in the Sierra Madre Occidental and flows south and southwest to empty into the Gulf of California, part of which is also highlighted white from sun glint, near the port of Guaymas.
Its course is interrupted by several reservoirs, which provide water resources for the intensively irrigated region of Ciudad Obregón. Here, Lake Ouiachic (below) and the Plutarco Elías Calles Reservoir (above) can be seen along the river.
Lake Ouiachic (also referred to as the Álvaro Obregón Reservoir or El Oviáchic) is located in the foothills of the Sierra Madre Occidental, and fed and drained by the Yaqui River.
The dam was completed in 1952 with the purpose to regulate water flow of the Yaqui River, prevent floods, and generate electricity.
The Plutarco Elías Calles Reservoir was formed by the Plutarco Elías Calles Dam, also known as El Novillo. The dam was built for irrigation and generating electricity, with a maximum capacity of 135,000 kw.